Friday, February 9, 2018

Traveling Thailand and Dubai

First blog after a long time and first traveling blog after even longer time. Let's see how it goes.
I'm just going to write the amazing things that happened. Somewhat in the order of amazingness, somewhat in the order of timeness, somewhat in the order of randomness.
First awesome thing that happened to me was a 9 hour stopover in Dubai. I've actually spent in the city around 5 hours but honestly it was more than enough. It would be freak me out if I spent more time there.
Why?
Well, Dubai is a surreal place. Couple decades ago it was a desert. Now, thanks to the oil and capitalism, there's a huge, modern, clean and overall futuristic city.
Dubai is amazing and stunning. The buildings are beautiful. I have no clue about the architectural value but looking at them is a treat. Speakers with soothing music in buildings. Trees and flowers in the main areas and of course visible irrigation everywhere. All in all beautiful. And of course there's the biggest mall in the world with zoo, aquarium and ice rink inside. Giant fountain show in front of the tallest building in the world. It's really hard to describe but the place is the greatest example of where can capitalism lead us. A guy I met from Kuwait said it's a perfect, ideal city. Kind of like Switzerland. That's a good description. And it explain why I'm freaked out of those 2 countries.
It's too good to be true. Too ideal, too orderly. Especially for human beings.
I suggest visiting though. As a stopover ideal destination for me.
Just a random example of Dubai 

After I got into Bangkok I spent several hours at the airport and around 9am I checked in to my hostel. While doing that I said hi to a girl who was working there. We became aware of the other person's existence but that was it.
Later that day I went to the infamous Khao San Road. Main place for backpackers to have fun in Bangkok. Aside from the red light district I guess. Even though that's more for the tourists than backpackers I guess.
Anyway, I came back form Khao San at about 3am a little drunk. This girl was in the hostel talking to other 2 people. I came in, said "hey, how are you?"
To which they all said hi except of this girl  who said: "Hey! You wanna travel with me to Chiang Mai?"
To her surprise I said yes and that's how I met Camila, my temporary traveling partner.
Who said traveling alone means you will be alone? Or lonely even.
Haters! Fucking haters!

I spent a week in Bangkok and after that we went with Camila to Chiang Mai. We spent a couple days there and then we rented motorbikes and went to do so called Mae Hong Son loop.
It was a week of traveling around different National Parks, beautiful nature with waterfalls. It was also a week of getting to know the "truer" local people a bit more.
The best memory I have of that is from a village called Ban Meo Microwave. I'm not kidding. See the picture.

This village is about 30 minutes up the hills through the forest away from the main road and there's absolutely nothing around. Just mountains and forests which was amazing just on its own.
The coolest thing happened when we got there. We walked around the village, took some picture and felt a little self-conscious of doing it.
Traveling? Cool!
Human zoo? Not cool!
Tinky Winky's purse? Duh! Charlie Sheen approved.

Surprisingly, we met only one person in the village and were wondering what happened to the rest. Then we found out. We heard someone talking through a microphone. We went after a noise, felt a little strange again but three old ladies motioned us to continue. We arrived to a scene like this.

We stood there for a minute, wondering if we can go in because we were curious to see what's going to. After a minute one of the sitting guys poured liquor, offered it to us and said we should sit. And we were in!
Suddenly, we've had plenty of delicious food and I've had several not-so-delicious drinks. Camila refused to drink after the first, probably for the better, but I was getting drunk. In short time from several drinks they all called whisky. No matter if it was monk-made white liquor or company-made bourbon. All whisky! Later in the evening I even tried alcohol made from porcupine. Or similarly looking animal for sure. Which would freak me out if I wasn't drunk at that point.

The party was a graduation celebration of four girls in that village. We spoke to one of them because she was the only person who spoke English.
We were eating, drinking, having fun and trying to communicate for a while before she came. The main thing she told us was: "You sleep here tonight"
It wasn't a question really. It was a statement. An order. And we didn't argue.
Why should we?
Also, how could we?  I wasn't in a state that was compatible with driving down a huge hills at that point.

Another order came an hour before the sunset. We were told we need to leave. We still don't know why but we did and our host took us up the hill to the army base with several transmission towers. A place taken from some mysterious movie. A bit creepy, bit freaky but all in all amazing because once we went through the fence and the wires we've had the most beautiful view.  Green forested mountains as far as we could see and little microwave village right below us. We sat there for about an hour until the sunset,  stunned by the view and the whole thing that was happening to us. 
This a low quality partial example of the view 

After the sunset we were again ordered to go down. We returned to the party and shortly afterwards I was taken away from it by a young guy. He gave me a short tour of the village. That included cheap but good Myanmar cigarettes, tasting the previously mentioned porcupine alcohol as well as earth worms. Lastly, it included a lot touching and holding. He was touching and holding  me if it wasn't clear.
I was a bit drunk so I didn't hesitate a bit when it came to the worms  and I'm glad I didn't. They were fried with some spices and actually tasty. Unlike the liquor.
I was able to even see parts of the animal still in the plastic bottle which together with the taste of the drink made me a little sick. I was also able to see the process of finding the worms in the roots of some plant. Slightly disgusting too but I had the worms before I saw this and I was already pleasantly surprised by the taste so I didn't mind.
This was fairly short visit in one of the houses but it was full of strange experiences I'm really glad for.

We were returning to the party and my tour guide kept touching me. I didn't know what to think. On one hand I understand it's a different culture because I had a similar "problem" with my Colombian friend Cynthia when we first met. On the other hand, this was a random guy in a remote village in foreign country and we were both drunk. I didn't encourage him but also didn't show any interest.
#Metoo?

Luckily, I didn't have to worry for long because he returned me safely to the party. He made other people worried for my safety as I found out thanks to Camila's messages and calls.
Around 8pm we received our last order. To go to bed.
The party continued for a while but we had to sleep. Again, not sure why.
Around 8 in the morning we woke up, were offered more drinks and had a delicious breakfast. They even packed us lunch into plastic bags.
What an amazing welcome to microwave village! Thank you again and thank you Camila for suggesting to go up there.

One of the things I absolutely love here is a bit hard to describe on a blog but I have to mention it.
I always have a plan to go to bed around midnight because I'm so busy I never get enough sleep. The reason for that is not partying. Well, for the most part. The biggest reason for lack of sleep is that I talk to people late into night.
Just recently, I went out to meet some people from Couchsurfing. I returned before midnight as a good boy. But I met three people playing cards in the hostel. I joined them for a game after which two people went to bed and I stayed there with a girl from Norway and we talked until 3:30am. In  Bangkok it happened every other day. With Nikoleta, Nelson, Vesna, Sibylle and later on with Tara and Jip, Natasha or Bell.
That's the real beauty of traveling. Yes, visiting temples and National parks, eating delicious cheap food and learning new skills is amazing. But the real joy comes from meeting and talking with people from so many different countries and backgrounds. People with so strange life stories. People who are open to share what they know, what they've been through and what are their plans.
This part is really hard to describe but we've all been through it I hope. You meet someone, you click and then spend several hours going deep talking about relationships, philosophy, about their core personality. With no bullshit. No small talk. Just the most interesting, and important, stuff people can talk about.
That's why traveling is so great. Because people are open to talk about anything. They are open to start a conversation with strangers. Open to share stories.
And you learn so much. That Dutch people swear about diseases. That Kuwait is 70% of Dubai's perfection and that parties there happen in homes not bars so tourists don't see them. That you can make a lot of money working on weed farms in the US. That in Thailand you can gamble 2 years of your life. You take cards, if it's red,  it's 2 years in army. If yellow, you're free.  And so on.
This seems like a good place to end the article but I'm going to leave you with some random pictures.
Another article will be soon I hope. I have plenty to write about! 


My favourite temple. Wat Sri Suphan made from metal alloys and silver. Stunning place 

Market and chess


Wachirathan waterfall 

My only picture of the transmission towers in microwave  

Tradition involving tying a string and giving money to the graduates while they drink Fanta. 



Random great sculpture 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for any comments :)