Wednesday, January 25, 2017

US elections

And your view on it.  Not mine 


I wasn't planning on writing about the elections but seeing all the sad updates on FB made me think. I was surprised when so many people expressed their feelings but what struck me the most was how strong their feeling were. Yeah, electing a racist, sexist and who-knows-what-elseist narcissistic white republican billionaire is probably not what the US needs but still. It's not the end of the world, it's not like he's going to do even a tenth of the things he said he would so why be so pessimistic? So why does it look on my Facebook like it's literally the end of the world?

I didn't quite understand what is going on but then it hit me. Maybe it's not about Trump. It's not really the fact that he will be the president, it's the people who voted for him. All those disappointed, crying people feel that way because they suddenly see who are their neighbours, who they have to live with. They see all those people supporting Trump and they wonder: "How could you?"
They can't understand but they know for sure that there are 50 millions of people in America who are total morons.
And I don't want to say that the people who vote for Trump are morons because I could write this same article if Mrs Clinton was elected. All I'm saying is that those sad 50 million who voted for Hillary now have a firsthand experience of 50 millions of other people who they consider ignorant, stupid, limited and who knows what else. And that is a painful experience. It always hurts to see reason being dismissed and it's sad to see good ideas and good people being trashed or simply ignored.
I know this well, I've been writing about this experience for more than 7 years now. This whole blog is basically my complaining about the idiots surrounding us. It's about the things that make no sense and asking why are they still here. 
But mostly it's here because it helps me. It helps me to live in this world. It helps me when I wrote about the nonsense because it calms me down. It makes me productive because I'm forced to write about it.
When I encounter stupidity, ignorance or at worst evil, it makes me depressed, frustrated and sometimes angry. I was depressed in NY for the second year partially because I couldn't take it all. It was too much to handle. The injustice, the unfairness in the whole world. The ignorance and unawareness of the people around me. It wasn't anything new for me but I wasn't happy with my life after a long time so I wasn't able to sustain my usual optimism and good-humour. 

I am a happy, optimistic person. I always was but I'm slowly losing it. I'm slowly losing my illusions. Why? Because I talk to people and more importantly, I listen to them. I'm looking at the world around me and I'm thinking about it. And it's getting to me. This whole time since I started this blog it was getting to me. You can see it if you read it all. You'll see how much I've changed and you'll it's been for worse in many ways.
But why am I writing about this now? Why do I think it's relevant now?
Because for the first time you all can relate to me, you can understand me and the whole blog. For the first I feel like I have a chance to get to you, to make you see what I see. Now you know how it feels to see the right solutions and then see people completely ignore them. For the first time, you truly know what it feels like to be surrounded by morons. 
When I said this to Andrea she just dismissed it as a joke and never paid too much attention to it but I have to say it:

Welcome to my world!


(it's not a happy place unless you try really hard)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for any comments :)